My Other Blog

I have a second blog, please check it out for topics that rock my world!

Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

My Hair Types (Yes, All 4 of them) Edited: Dec.5th

So, I've come to post what I believe to be my hair types, based SOLELY on Curl Pattern. I'm no expert on hair types, just going off what various websites have listed (which quite frankly, are not much help lol), and adjusting to what I believe my hair type is. I guess you have to guesstimate with this stuff because all hair is different. But regardless, there's 4 different types in my head lol. I've also come to accept that the "frizz" in my head is probably just type 4b hair, but it's not like it would neatly place itself in it's own little section, no no no, it wants to sit all over my head. *mumbles*. But at the same time I like it, it diversifies my hair, and also cooperates with braidouts, unlike my 4a hair lol. There are some parts of my head that truly refuse to partner up with the curls, but the others I believe to be type 4b. So, on to the Hair Types! Oh, and as a side note, I don't use 4c.

Type 4b
Undefined, z-shaped strands.

Type 4a
Stretched. Notice the S shape.

Several tightly coiled strands.

More Tight coils.

And more, notice that they have a small circumference, and are very tight.

More Type 4a.


Type 3c/4a
Some people may still classify this as 4a, with a larger curl. It's up to you.
Slightly looser and larger than the 4a strands.

Circular, spiral.



Type 3b

And these are the loose curls that are over the front of my hair.


And that is the end of my Hair Typing session, lol. Hope it helps someone out there. Again, I believe that hair typing is subjective, and you also shouldn't sweat it too much, though some people find it helpful as a guide to buying products. But when you have hair like mines (which many do), it doesn't matter to me! Happy growing everyone!

7 comments:

Shan said...

I'd pretty much given up trying to figure my daughter's type, because the descriptions online never help me. But your pictures are wonderful. Today my husband took our daughter out in the middle of our "hairstyling" so when she came home her hair was freshly washed, free of product and completely dry. And when I looked at her hair, and your pictures, I'm almost positive she is 4a with some sections of 4b and one 3c strand at the back. Thank you!

Treece said...

You're quite welcome Shan! I'm happy to know that this description has helped someone.

I know a lot of people are not that interested in hair typing anymore, but I still feel like it's interesting to know. Maybe that's just my curiosity talking.

Anywho, thanks also for the first comment on my blog, have a good night! :)

Naomi said...

I see what you mean! I think I have multiple types in my head too, but I generally classify myself as what type I have the most.

I know I've told you before, but congrats on becoming natural! Have fun with it.

Treece said...

Thank you Naomi, and thanks for stopping by! :D

I'm not even sure what to classify as the most...I feel like it's so evenly distributed lol. But otherwise, I'm having with it definitely. I just twisted my hair tonight!

Elizabeth said...

girl your not the only one. l'm mainlt type 4b but 1 quarter of my hair 4a like my mum hair. the 4b hair likes my dad. afro hair amazing. your hairs lovely

Iny said...

Thanks for this. I've thought most of my head was 4b with a little 4a in the middle. now I know I'm 4a all around the perimeter (and i loooove those little curls; can't keep my finger off of them) and a big patch of 4b in the middle that I could do without. I guess I would love the 4b if it was alllll over, but this patch is killing me. These teeny 4a spirals are soooo fun though.
FYI: I BC'd just 3 weeks ago and am geeked up

Treece said...

Thank you Elizabeth!

And Iny, I know it's a pain in the behind to see a small patch of hair that's a little different! I know I wish my hair were all one type, but alas, I cannot get my wish. :P Congrats on the BC, and enjoy being natural! P.S. I love the tiny spirals too!

Post a Comment